Often when one thing goes wrong, we will feel like everything is going wrong. Suddenly we will see all the different aspects of our lives that aren’t to our liking, and reach the conclusion that “everything is broken”. A healthier response is to see the problem as what it really is: One localised problem, in one small area of our lives.
Even seemingly major problems (eg being kicked out of your home or job), when put in context are never as serious as they may first seem. We still have our health, the love of those close to us, arms, legs and the freedom to make choices and improve our lives in many powerful ways. Once we are able to step past the initial shock, often these serious kind of changes can bring about the most positive transitions in our lives.
Here’s a tapping to help us keep problems in perspective.
While continually tapping the karate chop or collarbone points, say the following phrases, and as you do, pay attention and pick out the one that has the biggest effect on yourself:
- bad things are everywhere
- bad people are everywhere
- when bad things happen to me, it feels like everything in my life is wrong
- it feels like my entire life is broken
- my entire life is broken
- my whole life is wrong
- this [bad thing that happened to me] is typical of my entire existence
- good things are a fluke
Tapping out the negative
now loop through three entire loops (from crown through to wrists) using the phrase you picked out, and saying:
- even though [negative statement] I deeply and completely love and forgive (or accept) myself
then take a deep breath, and let it all go
Tapping in the positive
finally, loop through as many times as you like, saying the following (one sentence at each point). If any of the phrases resonate with you, feel free to say it over and over as many times as you like. Continue until you feel relief & calm.
- I choose to see how the good events in my life are all tied together
- I choose to see how good events occur throughout my life
- when bad things might happen, but they only affect a small part of my life
- bad things happen, but only in that tiny area of my life
- I choose to see good events everywhere