Please note: This is only a brief introduction. For full background information & a ton of resources, please go to the World Center for EFT at http://emofree.com
If you’d like to download this document in Adobe pdf format (so you can print it out, or read it later at your leisure), please right click here and ‘save as’
EFT works on the basis that all negative emotions are caused by disruptions in the body’s energy system. Tapping breaks up those disruptions, allowing the body and mind to quickly heal itself.
The Tapping Points
(If any of these points are physically difficult for you to reach, for any reason, just ignore them. EFT will still work)
- While tapping the karate chop or collarbone points, say 3 times “Even though I ‘X’ I deeply & completely love and accept myself” (where ‘X’ is your problem).
- Note how strong the problem feels, on a scale from 0-10 (0 is nothing, 10 is worst ever).
- Tapping 5-10 times on each point, on both sides of the body at once, loop from points 1-10 as many times as you like. At each point say ‘X’ (where ‘X’ is your problem). Whatever happens Keep Tapping.
- Take a deep breath and let it all go
- Measure how strong the problem feels now (0-10), and if needed, loop through again.
How EFT Works
By raising a strong reaction in yourself, you ‘tune yourself’ (like a tuning fork) into the problem you’re trying to resolve.
By continuing to tap around the energy (meridian) points, you smooth out the internal energy flow surrounding this particular issue. Your body can then heal itself without impediment.
You will feel your initial reaction subside, often very quickly.
Once you have done that, if you want, you can then start working your way towards a positive, replacement belief. (eg from “I’m angry at John because of blah” to “I choose to accept John the way he is”, or even “I love John” etc)
- Always drink lots of water while doing EFT.
- Try to be very specific. If a problem has many aspects, it’s better to tackle each aspect one at a time. This way you will see progress. It’s also easier to tune into specific sub-problems.
- Be persistent. It may take several goes to really clear out a deep-rooted problem.
- It’s quite common that your reaction to the initial setup will be strong: discomfort, anger, tension, or even tears. This is often surprising. It’s perfectly normal, and will quickly pass. Just keep tapping. Always keep tapping.
- Doing EFT is like peeling an onion. It can raise uncomfortable feelings you may not be aware you had. Make a note when each of these occurs, and just tap each away, one at a time.
- If you’re not comfortable saying negative things about yourself, say positive things. That’s fine too. If you don’t believe what you’re saying, you will feel that disagreement rise to the surface, and you can then tap that away.
- Say whatever comes into your head. It’s simplest, and still effective to just say a brief description at each point, but if you feel like free associating around the problem, that works excellently too.
- Some good starter phrases are: “Even though ‘X’, I deeply and completely love and accept myself anyway.“ and “Even though ‘X’, I deeply and completely love and forgive myself, without judgement.” Where ‘X’ is whatever you’re working on.
EFT is not a replacement for existing treatments. This document does not represent medical advice.
If you’re already energy aware you may notice that initially, EFT seems to disrupt your existing energy flows. This is very normal. It’s just other, buried things coming up. Just tap through anything that comes up, and you will feel things settle back, clearer and sharper than before.
Here are some examples. It’s good to tap on things even if you think they’re not relevant. If you tapped on “Even though I’m a purple cabbage” (which you’re obviously not), it wouldn’t hurt in the slightest. Same here.
Setup (while tapping karate chop or collarbone points):
Even though I’m afraid of change, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
Tapping (around all the points, both sides of body, as many loops as you like):
I’m afraid of change.
Even though I’m angry because John was rude to me, I deeply and completely love and forgive myself.
I’m angry because John was rude to me.
Even though I’m stressed about getting this project finished…
I’m stressed about getting this project finished.
Even though I’m depressed because I haven’t got any money…
I’m depressed because I haven’t got any money.
Always be as specific as possible. Take a deep breath after. If other things pop into your head while you’re tapping, make a mental note, and tap on them afterwards.
Where To Go From Here
You can experience incredible growth by making a list of every negative thought or emotion you experience and tapping through each in turn. To start with it may feel like you’ll be tapping forever, but you’ll soon realise that problems are going away and not coming back.
Experiment. Have fun.
Tap on anything and everything. It’s free, and takes very little time at all.
If you’d like to download this document in Adobe pdf format, please right click here and ‘save as’
If you’d like an mp3 version of this document to listen to, please right click here and ‘save as’